The Kenmore lid switch fills the electric circuit of your washer when the cover is closed. If your washer is not working, you should troubleshoot the switch of your washer lid before checking for other possible reasons.
It will be the most excellent way to check the switch of your washer lid with a voltmeter. If you don’t have a voltmeter, you may bypass your washer lid using a jumper cable to simulate the connection that fits into the wire connector.
The flip side bypass lid lock allows you safely open the washer lid and add extra cloth while running. Here is the step-by-step guide to Kenmore washer lid switch bypass.
Process of Bypassing Kenmore Washer Lid Switch
So, how could you bypass the Kenmore washer lid switch? The following methods will teach you some easiest hacks. Let’s get started.
Method 1: Access the lid lock key
Firstly turn off your Kenmore washer and remove the plug from the electric circuit. If necessary, remove the washer from the wall to expose the primary power cord. To neutral power to the device, unplug the cable from the root of the wall. Do not exit until you are sure that the power cord is fully disconnected.
- Once you have unplugged your Kenmore washer, put the power cord on the side of the case and secure it so that it does not damage while working.
- If you fix to tinker your washer without unplugging it first, you may get electrocuted.
Shut down the water by turning the dual feed switch counterclockwise. These valves are installed at a certain angle against a back wall or under utility panels if you have a laundry room. Hold it and turn left when you see it until you can not move it anymore. This ensures that no water flows into the machine.
- Sometimes the supply valve turns red and blue to indicate hot and cold water.
- It is not safe to change any parts of the washer without turning off the water, even if it is unplugged.
Open the top panel of the washer by loosening the hidden clips. You will find one buckle on each side of the upper part. Place the washer under the edge of one side of the machine and push straight in to release it. Do this process for the second clip and move the panel out.
- You may also release the clips by using another longer and a slender tool like a knife.
- In some models, you need to remove the hinge screw on the upper control box to lift the upper panel.
Locate the lock cover at the bottom of the upper panel. It is an electronic system that controls the operation of the washing machine locks. It is held in a small gray or black plastic case on almost all models. This small widget is often responsible for the problems you are experiencing.
- The switch of lid lock assembly may still be attached to its cable harness, which is generally secured to the bottom of the upper panel of the washer through a group of clips. To avoid doing too much for yourself, leave these attachments as it is.
Method 2: Override the locking system with a magnet
Install a magnet where the lid lock switch joins the washer cabinet. A solenoid valve is underneath the cabinet element, which is one kind of powerful electromagnet. Placing a separate magnet will provide a stable magnetic connection between the solenoid valve and the separate magnet.
- All kinds of small magnets may work. If you want to cover the lid completely, be sure to choose something thin, for example, a fridge magnet.
- Older washing machine lid lock technology used a strong magnetic field to lock the lid during the wash cycle.
Reconnect the top, install the device, and perform a washing test. Do not forget to pre-fill the water. If you plan to use it regularly, you can directly open and close the cap with a magnet. It does not affect the normal operation of the machine at all.
- This test may be necessary if you want to add extra load without constantly turning the washing machine off.
Fix the magnetic field while the washer is still powered off. Assuming that the device is working properly, you may have no option but to re-open it and try again. Try to align your magnet right on top of the panel where the washer lid lock switch generally hovers. If this doesn’t work, find a stronger magnet around.
- Verify that the magnet’s attractive pulling force is pointing down. Otherwise, they may not have a solid connection to the solenoid valve.
- If you are having a problem finding a strong magnet to continue the connection, unscrew the plug set to the side of the lid. You may always fix it back after finishing the process.
Process of Bypassing Kenmore Washer by Cutting Wires
If you are not using the magnetic method, you may bypass the lid lock pattern on the washer by removing the cable attached to the locking cap. Ensure that your washer and water supply are off. Then follow these steps:
1. Firstly, remove the switch of the lid lock by unscrewing the cover. Lower the seat snugly and let it hang loosely from the belt.
2. Then lift the lid of the washer. Retention clips fasten almost all types of cover. You can open the casing by pulling the clips apart. Then remove the lid and keep it aside.
3. Now, check the washer’s specifications to determine which wires to cut. The technology shield should include a wiring diagram showing the wiring labeled “lid switch” and “lock switch.” Most washing machine locks operate with three or four wires. These ones you will cut.
4. Cut the cable connecting the lid and the lock component. Using a sharp knife or cutter, cut straight from the centre of each wire. Without a usual connection, the cables won’t be able to supply the electric current that remains the lid locked.
5. Remove the cap at the end of each cable. You will need to remove an inch of insulation from the end of the cable by tying the cable together. This will remove excess clutter so you can work more effectively.
6. Now connect the cable connector. Solder both ends of the wire by using a plastic cable connector. Alternatively, if you do not have any cable connector, you may use electric tape.
7. Finally, reassemble the washing machine and check it. Take the cables back to the assembly, then plug in the washer again, turn on the water again and turn it on.
The lid should now open and close freely at any time while working. It is necessary to note that replacing the device may damage it and will actually void your warranty. Use caution or seek the help of an authorized repairman.
Will Kenmore washer run without lid lock?
Where is the lid switch of the washing machine?
The lid switch of a washing machine is generally placed under the machine’s top part.
More Kenmore Washer problems and solution you may like –
Kenmore washers have various series and varieties. So it is important to ensure that the technical change you want to apply is compatible with your washer. Any type of modification of the normal working condition of your washing machine will invalidate its warranty. That is why it will be better to bypass the Kenmore washer lid after the warranty expires. Hopefully, you gain some important information from “Kenmore washer lid switch bypass”.